Friday, June 28, 2013

Taro Experiment

I have heard on the internet that it is possible to grow taro from store-bought corms. Taro is an edible root vegetable from the tropics in Asia also known as Colocasia esculenta. The has very large leaves that are grown in the ornamental garden and known as elephant ears. Having read some more information on the subject, I headed to the local Asian supermarket and bought a few corms for a very low price. The corms are way hairier than I expected, but that isn't a problem.

Taro corms
These are the future taro plants I bought.

 I picked three smaller corms for planting, as the larger ones did not have buds, and it would be easy to pot the little round ones. The little buds should grow into leafstalks soon. The leaves are also apparently edible, but also require thorough cooking to destroy the irritating calcium oxalate crystals in the plant cells. I have potted these up, and will continue to post updates on them.

bud on taro corm
A growing bud

bud on taro corm
Another growing bud

No comments:

Post a Comment