Saturday, July 13, 2013

Variegated Blackberry?


One interesting thing that I found last year was this patch of blackberry plants that lacked pigmentation. I forgot where on the property this patch was, and believe it is still there. If I can relocate it, I will probably try to grow more plants like this if they are still whitish. If I cannot find it, it was probably not a stable mutation.

This is the whole patch of mutated blackberry plants.


This shoot is entirely lacking chlorophyll in its leaves.

These leaves are splotched with white.

This leaf was half white and half variegated.






2 comments:

  1. I've seen that quite a few times on bamboo seedlings and other plants where they simply lose their pigmentation, but they really can't produce energy that way. Shouldn't blackberry vines be much bigger than that or did you just get it recently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are wild blackberries growing in very heavy shade. They stay relatively small.

      Delete