Wednesday, June 26, 2013

An Intro to Walking Onions


walking onion bulbils
These are some walking onions in the garden.
One of my recent fascinations has been growing tree onions, also known as Egyptian onions, topset onions, and tree onions. These unique plants form ordinary onion bulbs underground, but have onions on top instead of flowers. The bulbils (little onion bulbs) on top are used for propagation to easily increase plant numbers. The plants rarely set seed, and I was lucky enough to get two seedlings from my whole row of onions. The plants can have varying degrees of flowerlessness (which may not be a word, but should be) and that is what I plan on showing you today. I am not sure what causes some plants to have more flowers than others, but I want to try saving any seeds the plants produce, and growing out the seedlings to see what happens. I will go in order from flowers-a-plenty to massive bulbil production. As a warning, my posts will probably be very picture heavy, as this post will be!



walking onion bulbils and flowers
This plant has tons of flowers, which is more than I have ever seen before.


walking onion bulbils and flowers
This plant has many flower and a few small bulbils.


walking onion bulbils and flowers
There are fewer flowers, but many small bulbils.


walking onion bulbils
This onion has five medium sized bulbils.


walking onion bulbils
Finally, a plant with three large bulbils.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favourite onion types! I also love the picture of them. The variety I have also has rather large bulbils which are very useful.

    ReplyDelete